Many families in Aotearoa are affected by family violence. Help is available. If you or your tamariki are affected by family violence, call the Family Violence Information Line on 0800 456 450, or Shine's national helpline on 0508 74 46 33.
Key points about family violence
If you or a child are in immediate danger, call the police on 111 within New Zealand (use the appropriate emergency number in other countries).
- family violence is common in Aotearoa
- family violence is violence between people with a close personal relationship - it affects women, children, men, young and old
- family violence can take many forms - it can be physical, sexual or emotional
- if you feel afraid of your partner, controlled or always put down, this is family violence
- help is available - call the Family Violence Information Line on 0800 456 450 or call Shine's national helpline on 0508 74 46 33
What impact can family violence have on health?
The constant stress of living with family violence has such an impact that it can lead to bad health and disease.
Tamariki who experience family violence can suffer long-term harm.
Health staff are aware of this and may ask you whether you're affected by family violence.
Where can I go for help?
Check out the KidsHealth directory of information, support, helplines and resources
Help is available.
If you or your tamariki are affected by family violence, or if you want help with your behaviour, call:
- the Family Violence Information Line on 0800 456 450 to find out about the organisations in your area who can help
- call Shine's national helpline on 0508 74 46 33
This page last reviewed 24 May 2023.
Do you have any feedback for KidsHealth?
If you have any feedback about the KidsHealth website, or have a suggestion for new content, please get in touch with us.Email us now